The Ultimate Proofreader is a leading UK-based provider of in-depth and comprehensive academic proofreading services.
We specialise in proofreading and editing dissertations, theses, essays, peer-reviewed journals, research proposals and other scholarly and academic papers.
We provide undergraduate and postgraduate students, academics, researchers, and writers of journal articles with three cost-efficient, scalable editing and proofreading services.
The In-depth Dissertation Editing Service is the most intensive dissertation proofreading service we provide. It is a combination of both thorough proofreading and profound copy-editing delivered by subject-specialist academic editors with over 20 years' experience.
We will not only mark and correct spelling, punctuation and grammatical (SPAG) errors in your manuscript, but we will also improve your writing by a) reworking poorly structured sentences, b) enriching your word choice, c) enhancing your use of academic expressions and phrases, and d) articulating your paper's academic style and tone.
We will also ensure that your dissertation, essay, journal, or article is written in idiomatic, impartial language and is clear, coherent and consistent.
We pride ourselves on being recommended, for our top-notch English proofreading and editing services, by clients from the world's most prestigious universities, academic institutions and journal publishers.
In-depth Academic Proofreading & Editing - 14 steps
Our in-depth essay and thesis/dissertation proofreading services are not only about correcting a misplaced comma, a spelling error, or an extraneous apostrophe. We will examine your essay, MA & PhD dissertation, thesis, journal or any other academic manuscript, thoroughly, at four key levels: language, structure, layout and style.
In compliance with your university's guidelines on proofreading and copy-editing, we will:
- Identify and correct grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors;
- Improve your word choice and sentence structure;
- Adjust your tone to be formal, academic and appropriate;
- Introduce rich and advanced academic terminology;
- Rephrase/restructure awkward or loose sentences where needed;
- Tighten and tidy up your academic lexicon throughout the text;
- Remove colloquial, inappropriate and informal expressions;
- Remove unnecessary 'filler' words and phrases;
- Fix formatting and structuring errors;
- Remove any typos or errors in title, headlines and subheadings;
- Correct in-text citations, bibliography, depending on your referencing style - whether APA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other reference style;
- Amend your paper, as necessary, to ensure your content is coherent, concise and digestible, and your paper's purpose is well laid out;
- Remove any ambiguity, inconsistency, contradiction, incoherence, biased and skewed language, verbosity, broken narrative, or unnecessary repetition;
Leave you comments, ask you questions, or request clarifications from you on any part that is not clear or difficult to understand in your dissertation/thesis, essay or journal article.
All our academic editors and proofreaders are native English speaker professional linguists with Master's and PhD degrees. They have specific and specialist experience in proofing and copy-editing dissertations, essays, journals and other scientific and scholarly research papers. Many of our proofreaders and editors are published authors and former university professors, certified by prestigious proofreading and editing industry associations such as SFEP, AASFE, EFA, and ACES. All of our academic proofreading and editing services - from start to finish - are done by human editors. We never use any machine-based proofreading.
We process all orders for our editing and proofreading services in a timely manner.
We operate 24 hours a day throughout the year, including public holidays and weekends.
We work to tight deadlines and short notice and provide express delivery service upon request. To find out more about exact turnaround times, read the FAQs section below or send us an email.
All of our essay and thesis/dissertation proofreading and editing services are fairly and transparently priced.
Our aim is to provide completely affordable English proofreading and editing services to students, researchers and academics.
We do not apply any extra charges or hidden fees and all our prices are final and inclusive of VAT.
Our prices are reasonable and highly competitive and take into consideration the limited budgets of all types of students.
How to place an order and pay?
Ordering: Send us your document either by email or submit it via the submission form available on our website below.
Payment: Once you have submitted your paper, we will promptly send you a quote and other details via email. If you are happy to proceed, we will then send you a safe payment link through which you can complete the payment.
When you submit your dissertation or essay for assessment, an essential factor that your tutor or supervisor will consider is your language and writing style. As per university guidelines, the standard of your writing and language contributes to the overall mark and grade you will be awarded by your academic assessors.
To avoid losing those marks and to ensure you obtain them successfully, your academic text has to meet certain criteria and requirements set by your university. Your thesis or essay has to be free of grammatical, typographical and punctuation errors and has to be drafted in sound academic language using clear terminology, expressions and vocabulary specific to your academic discipline.
Your dissertation has to be well-written and coherent, and all its component chapters have to be connected and make a logical whole to your readers.
The same applies to both academic journal articles and research proposals. Peer-reviewed academic journals, such as Nature, apply extremely strict language requirements and many articles get rejected because of poor language. Similarly, if you are applying for a university placement, scholarship, or a higher study, the university you have chosen will assess your proposal based on both content and language.
If you have the greatest idea for a research study but cannot express this in good English and in sound academic style, your chances of being accepted will be significantly reduced.
Two questions to ask yourself before submitting your dissertation/essay
Have I written my dissertation/essay in an accepted academic style for the discipline I am studying?
Have I used appropriate formal academic and clear language and right format?
Then read below how we can help you submit a dissertation or essay that complies with all your tutor's or assessor's expectations and guidelines. We will ensure:
- Your dissertation/essay is written in intelligible, formal academic language
- Your tone is appropriate, serious, and authoritative
- Your language shows mastery, learning, and subject knowledge and expertise
- Your ideas are clear, to the point and are expressed in an objective, impartial style of writing
- Your academic language is gender-inclusive and is free of prejudices and biases
- Your writing is a coherent, consistent, and logical body of work, rather than a collection of disconnected, meaningless sentences and phrases
- Your writing follows convention regarding the use of first and third person
- Your manuscript is free of chattiness, superfluous words, cliches and jargon
- Your argument and ideas are backed up by evidence and facts, rather than personal impressions and opinions
- Your sentences are of appropriate length, neither too short nor excessively long
- Your overall thesis or dissertation is presented in the most effective way possible
A native English speaker PhD or MA student?
Some native English-speaking students attending an undergraduate or postgraduate academic degree or programme underestimate the importance of essay and thesis/dissertation proofreading and editing.
Why do we advise otherwise?
For two reasons:
I): As human beings, we are naturally blind to mistakes we make while writing. In what we write we see only what our eyes are trained, or would like, to see. We can hardly spot any errors in a copy we have scripted. It is only through the eyes of others that we actually realise our own language flaws - that is why "a second pair of eyes" is needed and that is why professional proofreading and editing services exist.
II): Being a native English speaker is never synonymous with being able to produce a clean academic copy with no errors. An essential part of the job of the academic editor or proofreader is to ensure your text is well-written, well-structured and coherent and that there are no gaps or broken narratives in your writing.
That is why, if you are submitting a research proposal, essay or dissertation to your university or an article to a peer-reviewed journal publisher, it is definitely important to get your text expertly revised, edited and scrutinised by a “second pair of eyes”before submission.
10 common errors in scholarly papers
As a responsible dissertation and thesis proofreading and editing UK-based provider, we have collated the most common and serious errors and issues that our proofreaders and language specialists have addressed in the thousands of academic papers they comprehensively proofread and edited over the years.
These language issues, if left uncorrected in an academic manuscript, will certainly impact the value, quality as well as credibility of your academic research work.
These errors appear particularly in papers written by non-native students:
1- Grammatical errors
2- Typographical errors
3- Punctuation mistakes
4 - Mixing up British English with American or Australian English
5- Wrong use of prepositions, connectors and pronouns
7- Non-academic, non-idiomatic and incomprehensible language
8- Informal words, phrases and expressions not suitable in academia
10- Poorly structured sentences
We have helped university students, postgraduates and academics in the following academic disciplines, among many others:
Law / Biology / Physiology / Nursing / Political science / Physics /Media / Chemistry / Engineering / Literature / Psychology / Sociology / Arts / Culture / Religion / Language / Economics / Philosophy / History / Computer science / Technology / Medicine / Agriculture
In addition to our dissertation proofreading and essay editing services, we provide a professional academic rewriting and paraphrasing service. This service is provided to students and academics who need to cite from other sources of literature and require a paraphrase so as to avoid falling in the trap of plagiarism - which is an extremely serious offence in academia. Our paraphrasing service is delivered by highly-qualified and skilled paraphrasers and text rewriters who will expertly and professionally rewrite and paraphrase your original text employing a different structure, different words and different style, whilst maintaining your original intended meaning in the final paraphrased version.
While writing your book, be it fiction or non-fiction, some typographical, grammatical or punctuation mistakes are likely to occur. More problematic in your book, though, will be any broken narrative, inconsistency, structural gap, contradiction or wordiness.
We, at the Ultimate Proofreader, have specialist book proofreaders and editors with a great eye for detail. Our native English proofreaders will ensure your book has no grammatical, punctuation or spelling errors and our book editors will copy-edit – critically- your piece of work in depth for clarity, coherence and consistency.
We provide three levels of proofreading and editing services for book authors, script writers and playwrights which are reasonably and affordably priced. If you would like to test our book proofreading and editing services quality first, we offer a free sample option. Two different editors will each provide a copy, in order to give you more choice.
In today's business world, writing business communication, letters, press releases, reports, blogs or website content in clear, concise and impactful language is paramount.
Poorly written content on a company's website with language errors will, at best, turn potential clients away.
A simple language mistake in a written copy can land companies and businesses in embarrassing or indeed serious situations.
Simply consider this example:
Written: "The company has therefore decided to contract your services."
Intended: "The company has therefore decided notto contract your services."
For this reason, we have proofreaders and editors who are dedicated to ensuring that your text - be it a report, a letter, an email, a press release, promotional material or website content - is written in error-free English and is improved and enhanced in terms of content and form as well.
With our English language correction and improvement services, we will simply make your text speak well for you.We serve clients in the UK and around the world. So, if you are a business or institution interested in trying our services, you can send us a sample for an edit or a proofread.
A badly written CV or a cover letter with language errors certainly would not reflect good on you and would most likely turn potential employers away. A well-written CV with no language mistakes will most likely make a big difference by creating a positive impact on potential employers.
Therefore, it is really crucial to have your CV, personal statement and cover letter professionally edited and proofread. Here we come in with our CV proofreading services, which will help make your CV and cover letter shine through.
We also proofread and edit business letters, reports, emails and many other forms of writing.If you have a sample and want to test our proofreading or editing services, why not send it us today? It is free, with no obligation whatsoever.
How it works - from start to finish
We try to make the process of ordering any of our proofreading, editing and phrasing services as easy and as simple as possible.
So, if you have an essay, dissertation, report, article or book and would like to place an order for any of our proofreading services, editing or paraphrasing services, please follow the following steps.
1) Send us the document by email to [email protected], or through the form available on the website.
2) Specify in your email your preferred deadline
3) Specify your preferred reference style
4) If you have any specific requirements or instructions, please highlight them in your email
Within two hours or less, we will get back to you with:
1) Confirmation of receipt and availability
2) Delivery details
3) Payment details (we accept payment via PayPal or bank transfer)Once payment has been made, the job will be assigned to an editor or a paraphraser, as relevant.
You will get your document proofread or rewritten back from us by the agreed deadline by email.You will receive the document in two copies: one with changes marked to show you what has been changed by the editor, and another clean final version that is ready for immediate use and submission.
In-house Quality Assurance
1) Manual from start to finish
No matter how far technology has advanced, when it comes to proofreading and copy-editing, machines cannot replace human brains. For this reason, we do all our work manually from start to finish.
Our proofreaders, editors and reviewers will thoroughly and professionally correct and improve your text, both semantically and syntactically, marking errors, introducing necessary corrections and modifications, and refining your language.
Our team of high-calibre proofreaders and editors, based in the UK and around the world, bring not only many years of experience in editing and proofreading, but also academic knowledge, information, background, and - above all - an eye for detail.
Once the document has been proofread or edited, it is then assigned to a reviewer who goes over it to make sure that nothing had slipped the net of the first proofreader or editor, in an extra layer of scrutiny.
3) Track-changed/Marked-up Copy
We provide a track-changed (marked-up) copy of your manuscript, in addition to a clean, finalised copy ready for immediate use.
The track-changes option gives our proofreaders and editors an opportunity to ask you questions or leave comments about clarifications required.
"Thank you for the kind help last day. Your advanced dissertation proofreading services made my supervisor like so much my paper," Dan, PhD student.
"Due to your help during last semester, I have got good marks. Thanks. I have some assignments for this summer semester, I would like to ask your intensive dissertation proofreading services again," Kwon, PhD student.
"You guys give best dissertation proofreading services uk...thx for the great help," Karwan, a Master's degree student. "Your editing and academic proofreading services assisted me to higher grades. I recommended especially your in-depth dissertation proofreading services which are excellent," Kymai, PhD student.
"I found the Ultimate Proofreader to be fast, efficient and thorough. They turned my urgent little job around in less than three hours. Brilliant!" David M. H., book author.
"I searched a lot for a really professional law proofreading service provider as I study in the UK. The Ultimate Proofreader is honestly the one I needed. I particularly like their marginal annotations," Kesmat, a Master's degree student.
"This is an invaluable insight into this particular assignment.. Also, I found your markings very useful and professionally done," Kamil, a UAE-based translation company owner.
"The Ultimate Proofreader people are really revolutionising the proofreading services industry: quality, excellent customer service, speed. They have helped me get my paper published in the Journal of Asian Ethnology," K. M.
"I have seen the internet reviews of the ultimate proofreader proofreading services and they were really. Gave them a trial. Really excellent dissertation proofreading services. They rewrite if needed, very helpful editors," Ihsan Soliman.
"I tried several companies before I stumbled upon the Ultimate Proofreader. All I can say is that once you have tried their intensive academic proofreading services, you will stick with them for the future," Mohamed, academic writer.
"The Ultimate Proofreader is an excellent dissertation proofreading and editing UK agency. I did use many other English proofreading services companies but honestly this is the best proofreading services company I have dealt with," John M, a freelance author & writer.
9 Reasons to trust us
1 - Quality is our number one priority: we provide the UK's genuinely best proofreading services & editing and paraphrasing services. Unlike other providers, we truly believe in something called QUALITY, so we pay attention to every single word and sentence you have written in your paper.
2 - Top-notch proofreaders & editors: we have a team of outstanding native English proofreaders, editors, reviewers and rewriters who have decades of experience. With a keen eye for detail, they are the best in the UK at what they do. We use only human copy-editors and proofreaders; we never use any online word processors or robot editors.
3 - Value for money: all our proofreading and editing services as well as paraphrasing services are reasonably and affordably priced, especially as a significant part of our clients are Master's and PhD students with limited budgets. What makes us special and stand out from all other proofreading and editing services UK providers is that we provide a much better quality at cheaper and more affordable prices.
4 - Fast turnaround: our services are completed and delivered to customers within fast turnaround times, without any impact on quality. We are aware that students in particular can sometimes have a very short deadline to submit their papers and therefore need their documents proofread and edited urgently.
5 -Trust & reputation: we are a reliable and trusted proofreading and copy-editing service provider, with a wide network of clients spread across the world: the UK, the US, Australia, Canada, Japan, China, Romania, Saudi Arabia, the Netherlands, Thailand, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Oman and Kuwait.
6 - Punctuality: we are meticulously committed to our clients’ deadlines. We apply a 100% punctuality policy.
7 - Around-the-clock assistance: we are available 7 days a week, throughout the year. So, whenever you need any help from us, you will always find us ready to assist the best we can.
8 - Friendly service: we love to interact with our clients. We answer questions and respond to comments at any stage - whether before, during, or after the completion of the assignment.
9- Confidentiality: we highly respect our clients' confidentiality concerns. So, we provide a very confidential service where we remove all documents delivered to clients completely from our systems.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q- Where is the Ultimate Proofreader based?
- A- We are based in the UK, but our network of proofreaders and editors span different countries and continents.
- Q- What academic services do you provide?
- A- We provide four main services. Three of them are focused on language correction and improvement and the fourth is a rewriting/paraphrasing service. For more details of each, please visit the relevant page on our website.
- 1. Academic Proofreading Service
- 2. Academic Editing Service
- 3. Academic Substantive Copy-editing Service
- 4. Rewriting or Paraphrasing Service
- Q- What are the turnaround times for the proofreading, editing and rewriting services?
- A- Our approximate delivery times are detailed below, but get in touch with us for more specific turnaround times.
- 1) Proofreading and editing services
- Up 12,000 words (within 24 hours)
- 20,000 words (within 48 hours)
- 2) Rewriting & Paraphrasing Service
- Up to 2,000 words (within 24 hours)
- 3,000 words (within 36 hours)
- 5,000 words (within 72 hours)
- For any longer assignments or express delivery, please get in touch with us for an exact quote and turnaround times.
- Q- Is it easy to pay for the services?
- A- It is quite easy and straightforward to pay for our services. The safest method of payment for us and for you too is Paypal. However, if you prefer, you can pay us via bank transfer.
- Q- Are your proofreaders and copy-editors native speakers?
- A- We only employ highly qualified native speaker proofreaders and copy-editors with many years' experience, subject knowledge and relevant background.
- Q- How confidential is your service?
- A- We apply strict confidentiality rules. Rest assured your document is absolutely secure and confidential during the proofreading, editing or rewriting process. Only the task manager and the proofreader, editor or rewriter will have access to you document.Once sent back to you and you are happy with it, we will immediately remove your document from our systems.
- Q- Why should I choose your service?
- A- We offer you genuinely top-quality editing and proofreading services at cost-effective and competitive rates. Our services are done by the UK's best proofreaders, editors and rewriters.All our clients are 100% happy with our services and achieve high scores. We can also do a sample of your document so that you can test our quality without any obligation whatsoever.
- Let us know if you have any other questions that are not answered here. We provide 24/7 support.
The Ultimate Proofreader - 5 facts about us
1) Prices: As a proofreading agency UK-based, our essay and dissertation proofreading and editing services are reasonably and affordable priced. We charge a flat rate, whether your document is complex or non-complex; technical or non-technical; short or long. Our prices start from £9.50 per 1,000 words, and we also offer a 10% discount to all first-time clients.
2) Turnaround times: We complete orders as fast as possible. As a reputable top-quality proofreading services UK-based provider, we never let speed affect quality. While we aim to deliver assignments as quickly as possible, the editing and proofreading of your manuscript up to the highest standard remains our No 1 priority. On average, we can proofread and edit up to 10,000 words within a full 24 hours per single client, but for more urgent assignments with short deadlines or precise delivery times, please contact us via email.
3) Quality assurance: Once your document has been proofread or edited thoroughly and meticulously, it then goes through a more rigorous level and process of quality assurance involving a comprehensive second review by another senior editor, before delivery. The Ultimate Proofreader is committed to delivering the best quality English proofreading services to clients in the UK & worldwide. Our unparalleled and genuine focus on quality has put us at the forefront of the industry.
4) Availability: We run a dispersed operation in the UK & across the world, so we are available 24 hours, 7 days a week throughout the year, including public holidays. For students and academics, our services can also be pre-booked at any time of the year or during peak times of essay and dissertation submission by undergraduates and postgraduates.
5) Confidentiality: The Ultimate Proofreader applies a very strict confidentiality policy in order to ensure our clients' manuscripts remain 100% safe and secure, from the moment an order is placed until it is delivered. Once we have returned your document, we will remove it from all our systems altogether.